Over the past year and a half, Securing Water for Food Founding Partners (USAID, Sweden through the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands, and the South African Department of Science and Technology) have strongly advocated for an increased focus on gender in the program.
SWFF supports the notion that gender equity, empowerment and integration create lasting benefits.
SWFF broadly supports the notion that integrating women and gender equity into SWFF innovators’ operations, marketing, and technology adoption, in addition to engaging and empowering both men and women in a fair and equitable manner would create lasting benefit.
This report, which was prepared in response to the Founding Partner’s gender suggestions, examines the context in which the SWFF program (which includes the SWFF Founding Partners, the SWFF Technical Assistance Facility, and the SWFF innovators) are operating and showcases evidence of how the program is moving from analysis and theoretical considerations to practical activities and recommendations. However, significant challenges and barriers need to be addressed to achieve this goal of gender integration.
Prepared by the Securing Water for Food Technical Assistance Facility, this report:
- Seeks to address the topic of gender and its influence in the assurance of development outcomes
- Looks specifically at the distinct benefits in addressing gender
- Addresses the multiple gender-based barriers faced by SWFF innovators and others working in water and agriculture
- Enumerates broad challenges experienced when selling to bottom-of-the-pyramid male and female customers
- Examines the effort made by SWFF innovators as it relates to gender integration and gender empowerment
- Highlights operational changes, challenges, and lessons learned as it relates to gender for the SWFF TA Facility operations
- Documents feedback from the SWFF innovators
- Offers practical recommendations and early actions that can have a positive impact on the broader goals of development, the communities and customers served by SWFF innovators, and directly benefit the growth and sustainability of SWFF innovators
Download the document SWFF 2016 Gender Report.